Monday, February 28, 2011

Cee Lo @ Club Nokia

Photo via Neon Tommy

I enjoyed listening to The Lady Killer, a mix of motown and r&b with a film noir theme, and loved Forget You, so I thought it'd be fun to enter The Scenestar's contest for free tickets to Cee Lo's show.  To be honest, I didn't start listening to Cee Lo's latest album, The Lady Killer, until I heard Gwyneth Paltrow covering Forget You on Glee (which is probably the only reason anyone even knows she can sing because, really, who even watches the Country Music AwardsGlee is also the only reason she got to do an entertaining, colorful duet with Cee Lo at The Grammys).  That's not to say Cee Lo isn't talented (he has a great, soulful voice and put on a good show when I saw him at ACL), he just wasn't really on my radar after Gnarls Barkley.

The day of the show, I found out I won.  Because I had forgotten about the show, up until I won, I had already made dinner plans that night (I couldn't miss out on Kokekokko's chef's 3-day stewed ox tail curry, which is awesome BTW), so I had to miss Big Boi's performance, which I'm now a little disappointed at because I found out later that Janelle Monae was a guest.

When we got there, Cee Lo was finishing up his opening set with Goodie Mob.  He had some issues with sound after his all female band (which reminded me of Robert Palmer's Addicted to Love music video) set up to play his first song, but he kept the crowd entertained while it was being resolved.  He had a slow start, but ended strong with his two biggest hits Crazy and F- You.  He was a ball of energy, getting the crowd to dance, chatting at high speeds, and having fun dancing to his own songs.  I love watching Cee Lo perform because he always seems to be enjoying himself. 


More:

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea that Gwyneth could sing until I saw her perform the record with Cee-Lo at the Grammy's the two of them are amazing.. more specifically cee-lo is amazing and that song is amazing

    ReplyDelete