Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Silversun Pickups, Okkervil River, Gnarls Barkley, Band of Horses, Foo Fighters @ ACL

Silversun Pickups
were pretty good live. The sound was terrible though. It made me wonder if I'd forgotten how outdoor concerts were supposed to sound like. The singer's speaking voice was SO different from his singing voice. I had always wondered if there was studio work done on it, but apparently not.

Okkervil River
They didn't sound bad live, I just think they're not really a large audience type of band. Their music is too mellow and not singalongable, which taught me that maybe I shouldn't see a band live unless they have music that's easy to sing along with. But then again, Ratatat has no lyrics and they were still amazing live. So, I guess sometimes my choice in live bands will be hit or miss. I just haven't missed in a really long time, which made me really question my choice in live bands.

Gnarls Barkley
I wasn't THAT excited to see him, but I'm glad Z wanted to see him so badly because that forced me to go. He was surprisingly good and really got the audience going. He's a really good frontman. He had a great bluesy voice and DJ Dangermouse looked totally badass even in a sequin jacket! They ended with a GREAT cover of a Radiohead song, which was really cool because I just saw Radiohead live doing same song a few weeks ago. Gnarls Barkley is definitely a stadium band and he seems to have an affinity for the F-word.



Band of Horses
There were too many people there. We couldn't really see them, so we just sat in back and listened. They still sounded good live. I loved hearing The Funeral and No One's Gonna Love You live. I must thank T for introducing me to this band. That last song always makes me so sad. I regret not being able to catch the last song because we had to leave early. Luckily, we could hear it as we made our way to Foo Fighters.

Foo Fighters
It was already really crowded even though we got there early. I have to see this was the best show I had seen all day. The sound was really clear and sounded just like a CD. Huge difference compared to Silversun Pickups earlier. I didn't realize they had SO many singles and it's funny to think about how you hear some of their singles SO much that you actually learn all their lyrics without even trying. I feel like their most popular songs were Everlong and My Hero. Sounded SO great live and I loved how they got everyone to scream along to My Hero's chorus. I was shouting at the top of my lungs. I love that song! and I was really surprised I was able to sing along with almost all of Everlong and I've never even tried it before! And then there was a triangle solo, which trust me, is more complicated than you would think. And they kept pausing near the end of their songs and then starting up again, so after awhile, I would just wait until I was sure they were completely done before I started clapping. They were on for almost 2 hours! I think they were just slotted for one. I loved how at the beginning they pretty much said they were going to play until the cops shut them down. And then they kept saying "Do you want to hear one more song?!" They did that several times. So, I wasn't sure if they were going to come back out for an encore, but they did. I'm sure they would've satisfied everyone if they had just played one encore song, but they did a couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment