Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Matthew Morrison @ The Grove



When I arrived at The Grove, I could hear Matthew Morrison rapping to Gold Digger, which I was surprised he was doing, but I'm sure the Gleeks loved it.  I missed half the concert thanks to a PR snafu with Kraft, but what I did see was just like watching Will Schuester perform on Glee.  He was full of energy and got the crowd really excited.  He sang mostly covers and the one original song above, My Name, which fell into the adult contemporary category and sounded like something you'd hear on KBIG.  I was hoping to hear more original songs, but his album does drop in May, so he's probably still working on it. 

“When I started the process, I had a vision of what I wanted it to be, and it’s now completely different,” he says. “I went into it wanting a Justin Timberlake-meets-Michael Buble kind of feel, but what came out of it was something more raw.” [Hollywood Reporter]  When I read Morrison's above statement I thought his upcoming album could be interesting if it was an update of oldies like what Glee did with Singing in the Rain / Umbrella.  Before hearing that mashup, I never thought Singing in the Rain could be turned into a good pop song.  But then I read this "Mercury Records president David Massey, who signed Morrison soon after Glee premiered in 2009, says he hears a little Jason Mraz, too." [Hollywood Reporter]  which worries me.  Anything that sounds like Jason Mraz is so overplayed.  I'm just tired of it.  I'm hoping Morrison will be more original on his record.  He's very talented and I look forward to hearing what he puts out. 


More:

No comments:

Post a Comment