The tiki torches outside the Roy's Restaurant in Pasadena gave me the impression that the interior would resemble that of Trader Vic's. Apparently, the torches weren't allowed at the downtown location, but I think that helped make the restaurant look less cliched.
This was supposed to be a pit stop for drinks and snacks before HC and I headed over to Hatfield's for dinner, but manager, April McCaa, was generous enough to give us a taste of all the appetizers on Roy's Aloha Hour menu. They have not just one but TWO happy hours: Sun - Fri 4:30 - 6:30pm and 9pm - close. The second happy hour is great for people who work late like I do. Another plus: you can order any cocktail off their menu for $5!
- Lychee Caipirinha - I'm a sucker for anything with lychee in it
- Lemongrass Saketini
- 1988 - more than one person raved about this, so I had to try it. Success! Lychee again! It was just as strong as the bartender said it was. HC wasn't a fan because he doesn't like guava, good thing I do!
- Pineapple Ginger Mojito - less gingery than I thought it would be
Best Bar Bites:
- Tempura Crusted Spicy Ahi Roll - loved the crispy exterior
- Crunchy Golden Lobster Potstickers
Biggest Bang for Your Buck (recommended by bartender):
- Wagyu Beef Sliders