Friday, January 21, 2011

Sound Bites 10.0: Grilled Cheese Sandwich Dinner Party

Lovely table setting by our host, Andy

I feel kind of silly blogging about this dinner party when I didn't really contribute anything besides chipping in for HC's sparkling wine, so this post will be mostly pics!

Appetizers:
Tangerines and olives - good thing there were snackages because we were getting HUNGRY before the grilling started. 

1st Course:
Taleggio cheese, capers, chanterelle mushrooms, and Gruyere on Zingerman's rye bread by Chef Andy, paired with Domaine du Manoir de Montreuil Cambremer Cidre Pays d’Auge - At first, I was skeptical of bread worth FedExing for, but I was proven wrong when I tried the tasty crust, 

which was made even tastier with cheese.  Mmmmm...
Before

After

Nathan brought the surprisingly dry apple cider from DomaineLA.

I have to thank him for the great notes he took during dinner.  Sometimes I just see food and all my brain functions (except for seeing, eating and tasting) stop working.

2nd Course:
Preserved quince, manchego cheese on homemade olive oil tsoureki by Chef Anna, paired with Spiral Cabernet Sauvignon Napa 2009 - secret ingredient:  tears.  Kidding kidding... unless it was baked into the bread...  I mean, look at it.  Who makes bread that looks THAT good? 
Before

After

I had quince for the first time in Boston and now I LOVE it. 

3rd Course:
Salted coconut butter, homemade paneer, masala sauce, and vadovan naan bread by Chef Andy, paired with Maui Brewing Company’s Coconut Porter - this was his Indian version of a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup, inspired by LudoBites 5.0.  

I felt a little guilty eating a spoonful of butter, but it was soooo good.  Andy was kind enough to remove fresh cilantro from my sauce, but after trying some of HC's sauce, I found that I actually didn't mind cilantro so much, not when Andy cooks with it anyways.  I loved the sauce so much that I even asked for extra to go.  What?  I already had to take half my "sandwich" to go since I had to save room for HC's. 

4th Course:
Mesquite honey, Wisconsin mascarpone, blackberries, black currant jam on honey wheat by Chef HC, paired with Granny Smith Sparkler cocktail - just when I thought I could barely eat any more, HC brings out this light and tasty treat.  HC has taught me to never leave a dessert behind, so I devoured it. 

Besides helping contribute to the sparkling wine, I helped mix the cocktails. 
Yep, that's my half sandwich I took home

HC, Andy, and I ended the night with Maui Brewing Company’s Mana Wheat beer made with (one of my favorite fruits) PINEAPPLE!  It is now on my list of favorite beers.  I'm actually still craving it... 

I got to try new kinds of grilled cheese sandwiches and make new blogger buds.  The night was such a success that Andy suggested another themed dinner party for next time.  I almost regret suggesting a beer theme because everyone else is already extremely familiar with cooking with beer and next time I might actually have to make something.  :O

Song Pairing:
Of Montreal - Oslo in the Summertime

No comments:

Post a Comment