Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sophie Milman @ OCPAC

She performed at Orange County Performing Arts Center: Samueli Theater, which was much nicer than I thought it would be. It was set up kind of like an intimate little jazz club, except the seating arrangements weren't that good. At Catalina Jazz Club at least all the seats are set up facing the stage. There were a few empty tables. I think they should've had 2 people per table because they were so small, but I understand that people want to be closer. They should have offered the option of sitting closer or at an empty table because 4 people to a table seemed pretty crowded and inconvenient with 1 person's back facing the stage.

So, I had only seen one youtube of Milman singing before I had gone to the show. It was a gift for my friend, so I didn't really know what she sounded like. F said he really disliked how she was singing through her teeth. I thought it sounded a little weird and I really couldn't understand much of what she was singing, but I was so used to not really hearing bands' lyrics that I didn't pay too much attention to that. I did like her Russian jazz song and her cover of "It's Not Easy Being Green." The jazz band was really really good. I thought the drummer was really unique and used things I haven't seen too many drummers use.

Check out some of her music at myspace.

No comments:

Post a Comment