Friday, October 3, 2008

My Bloody Valentine @ Santa Monica Civic

I went to the show, so W wouldn't have to go alone and just to say I saw My Bloody Valentine live.  It's like saying you saw Radiohead live.  Anyways, I hadn't really listened to the CD until I got back from Austin.  I've been listening to the CD nonstop for about 2 days to prep for the show.  I was surprised that I've actually heard some of their music before.  From the CD (mostly songs from the Loveless album, which W says is their most popular album), it sounded like ambient vocals with shoegazey guitar.  I wasn't sure what to expect.  When Z said that I should double up on earplugs and that they tend to play at 132 decibels (apparently that's like having a jet engine near your ear), I thought he was overexaggerating...until I got inside and heard the opening act (I'm not sure who it was, but I think he was called Spectrum).  It was already much louder than expected and MBV weren't even up yet!  I felt especially bad for W because all she had was Kleenex for her ears.  She had forgotten her earplugs.  Her ears were still ringing the next day.  There goes a decibel of hearing.  I've never been so thankful for earplugs, but even my hearing felt muffled after the show (luckily, no ringing) and I woke up the next morning still slighlty muffled. 

Spectrum?
He had heavily distorted guitar and extended experimental pieces.  They sounded good, but they all melted in together after awhile, but the last song he played, wow, it hit such a high loud note.  He hit a decibel I didn't even know still existed in my hearing. 

My Bloody Valentine
So, the first half of the set list was pretty catchy and everyone knew the songs.  I enjoyed them and then I'm not sure, but it seemed to get progressively louder and more abstract as the night went on.  The last song, wow, was like nothing I've ever experienced.  It was just this mind numbing constant guitar and drum breakdown that went on for what felt like 20 minutes.  Everything was vibrating and I could actually feel wind even though we were indoors!  I felt like all my organs were being rearranged and my legs started getting wobbly.  It was like a rocket was trying to take off in front of our faces to escape the nuclear attack was occurring right next to it.  This guy standing next to me was telling his friends earlier that he was going to take out his earplugs for his favorite songs, but even by the end, he looked like his head was going to explode. 

I've never been to a show where I was afraid for an encore.  And where everyone cheered at the end about SURVIVING.  I wasn't quite sure how I felt about the show, but I think I enjoyed it.  It was definitely one of the most memorable shows I have ever been to.  I just don't understand why they felt the need to torture their fans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment