Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Inception

Inception is probably the best film I've seen this year.  I haven't left a theater doubting reality like that since I watched the first Matrix.



The trailer reveals the tip of what the film is actually about.  This review is going to sound kind of general because it'll be difficult to discuss it without ruining it for everyone and I think EVERYONE needs to see this movie.

The fight scene was incredible.  It gave the impression of being in space, but still had human speed, adding up to a disorienting, but amazing action sequence. 

Joseph Gordon Levitt has to be one of the best actors of our time.  He has been extremely convincing in the past movies I've seen him in (Brick, (500) Days of Summer, 10 Things I Hate About You) and he is no different in Inception.  His walk, his words (I adore his gravelly, private eye type voice), his look (loved his flawlessly pressed, neat suits), his mannerisms made me believe he was this extremely serious character and helped to make him the perfect straight man in certain scenes.  Leonardo DiCaprio looked ratlike to me, but I think that emphasized the deceptions he participated in.  I adored Ellen Page's Asexual Chic wardrobe, which  came off as Parisian / Bonnie & Clyde (I wanted all her handkerchiefs, except for the western hipster one) meets 1940s professor (loved all the vests and blazers).


Photo from OnlineMoviesHut
Was it just me or did anyone else find it ironic that Cillian Murphy, who played Scarecrow, was in another movie about dreams?  Marion Cotillard really scared the poop out of me in one scene where her eyes were bulging.  I almost thought her head was going to start spinning around.  She convincingly conveyed mystery and fear through her mood swings.

The soundtrack, which was written and composed by Hans Zimmer, really enhanced the film by creating so many different levels of anxiety through fantastic string arrangements that made me think of large machines and machinations.  I think the score is right up there with Jaws' in instant recognizability. Also, it won't sound outdated when you watch the film years later, unlike The Matrix, which obviously sounds like the 90s. 
  

More:
Camerawork
Visual Effects

No comments:

Post a Comment