Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Elixir of Love @ Dorothy Chandler Pavilion


It was my first opera and my first time in Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. I had been invited by HC to attend the night before the opera. Sitting in row 19 orchestra gave me a pretty good first experience. HC said that was the first time he didn't have to climb stairs for an opera performance. I read up a bit on The Elixir of Love just in case it was in another language, which it was (Italian). I was relieved to find out that there were supertitles above the stage, so that I'd be able to understand the story. I hate to admit that I did get a bit sleepy during the first half of the opera, but that could have been due to the fact that I work extra early on Fridays or that the head of the woman sitting in front of me blocked part of the stage. I really wish theaters had stadium seating because my seat was even worse when I went to see Phantom of the Opera. Anyways, the opera was more humorous than I thought it would be and the singing was amazing. I was shocked that the human voice could reach such a variety of ranges. It was mesmerizing. The second half of the opera was much more exciting and I loved the ending. I guess I got lucky that my first opera was more simplistic, I'm told. So, it was more entertaining than I thought it would be. I think I would definitely like to attend another opera.


Read more...
Another review by LA Times.

1 comment: