Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Phantom of the Opera @ OC Performing Arts Center

I've only been to Pantages, so this theater was much bigger and the stage was round. We were sitting off to the right side. I don't know if it was the seating arrangement or because I'm too short, but the head of the woman sitting in front of me obscured the middle of the stage. During the first half of the musical, I all the action seemed to take place at the center of the stage. I struggled to peer around her head or over it, but after awhile I gave up. So, I ended up zoning out a bit because it was like I was just sitting there listening to a soundtrack. Also, the music was more operatic than I'm used to, which is understandable because of the name of the musical. I think I need to be able to see people's gestures and see what's going on to keep my attention. I liked the stage effects like the chandelier, the fire, the guns, and the boat scenes. During the second half of the musical, I switched seats with F, which wasn't much better because the woman in front of me was constantly moving around to see past the head of the person sitting in front of her. At least the first woman, sat still most of the time. Fortunately, most of the characters were running back and for on the stage and the action wasn't so much in the center. I enjoyed the second half much more. It kept my full attention and the music was good. I'm considering renting the movie just to see what I missed during the first half.

I was debating what I should wear to the musical, but I guess I had nothing to worry about because I saw some people who looked like they were dressed to go clubbing: mini skirts or dresses that looked like they should be tops. And I saw a guy wearing shorts!

No comments:

Post a Comment