Sunday, September 26, 2010

Blogger Prom 2010

Yamashiro

I had heard of Yamashiro before, but I had no idea that it was hidden away on a hill just past The Magic Castle.  I've been to The Magic Castle and didn't even realize the restaurant was right above it. Yamashiro was such a beautiful venue, I just don't know how the Blogger Prom Committee's going to top that next year.  Can you believe the view from the entrance?  20100922_BloggerProm_Yamashiro_pano_1

The landscape was just gorgeous:  perfectly full moon, no fog, dazzling lights.  This was a rare moment in my life as a Los Angelean where I actually thought my city was beautiful.  I was captivated by the view every time I stepped outside or glanced out one of Yamashiro's broad windows. 

As I filed into check-in area with other glamorously dressed bloggers, I felt like I was taken out of Hollywood and dropped into an ancient Japanese palace.

20100922_BloggerProm_31

I still can't believe a place like this has been resting above Hollywood this entire time.  I must go back and check out the Farmer's Market before it ends in October. 


Drinks

I was surprised that we all only used one of the three drink tickets (the line got a bit long, but that's understandable since there was only one bar compared to having two at last year's Blogger Prom), but I definitely didn't feel like I needed the other two tickets thanks to The Dalmore, The Beer Chicks, and the after party at Test Kitchen.

 Appetizer
  • Hukilau Poke Ahi, teardrop tomato, macadamia nuts, soy-sesame marinade on a wonton crisp
  • Charred Albacore with serrano chilis, blackened shallots, cilantro, tomatill-ponzu salsa on a tortilla chip - our favorite.  My companions had several 
  • Hoisin-Braised Kurobuta Pork with scallion risotto and honey-mustard sauce - I enjoyed the pork but not the risotto, my +1 doesn't really eat pork but liked the risotto.  This just couldn't win with us
  • Asian Baby Back Ribs with house-made BBQ sauce - I was surprised that this was served as finger food.  Seemed a bit messy, but Jennio and her date enjoyed them   

Food
  • Miso-Sake Black Cod taco - wish we had gotten in line for the tacos right away because the table got popular real quick
  • Kleweno Farm's Smoked Sausage with Maple-Black Pepper Aioli taco
  • Coolhaus Ice Cream Sandwiches - we absolutely loved their ice cream sandwiches.  I had the green tea ice cream between two chocolate cookies.  Their table looked great, like an old-fashioned candy store 
  • ChocolateBox Cafe Chocolates
  • Crumbs Cupcakes - I can't resist eating something that looks like a mini Hostess Cupcake   
Music

I noticed the live band was missing.  Turned out Dirty Martinis Jazz unreliably canceled a week before Blogger Prom.  Seems pretty unprofessional to bail so last minute and missed out on a lot of free publicity with all the tweeting going on all night.  Luckily, DJ Steve kept the party going with a variety of jazz music. 


Goody Bags

There's so much good stuff in there.  My goal is to try to make a day of it and use as many coupons and gift certificates as possible. 
Photo by COFG
I'm excited about:
  • Disney Tote - I <3 Disney!  The tote's the perfect size for carrying a book and a lunch to the park
  • Free Admission to The GRAMMY Museum - which I've always wanted to check out
  • Free Pass to The American Cinematheque
  • $5 Gift Card from Pinkberry
  • $10 Dining Certificate for Border Grill Truck - they serve awesome churros! 
  • Drink Coupon with Purchase of Meal at Hugo's - free drink with food that I already enjoy? YES!
  • Free Cupcake from Sprinkles - must redeem ASAP since it's expiring very soon
  • CostPlus World Market Chocolate Bar - mmmmmm, chocolate!

Congrats to the Blogger Prom King and Queen, Food Marathon and JozJozJoz (photographed on left)!

Photo by Heather Kincaid

And thanks to 1933 Group for the drink token winnings!  I have my eye on some drinks at Thirsty Crow.

Tom, Jennio, Winn



More:
Heather Kincaid's (great idea to have a photo booth and photographer there.  Hope Blogger Prom has her again next year) Blog and Photo Gallery
BrandX
Sure Beats Work
LA Times / Image
kevinEats
Naked City

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know about Yamashiro either and I had also been right below it at the Magic Castle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! The event and venue both look amazing. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete