Here are some of my fond memories of full bellies:
- Coco Puff (Lilha Bakery) - I'm not usually a fan of coconut, but my friend said this bakery was famous for coconut cream puffs and, I have to say, they were deliciously sweet with a chocolate surprise in the center.
Right: Coco Puffs. They are larger than they appear
Portuguese Sausage Breakfast (McDonald's) - after my first time having Portuguese sausage, I instantly became
Top: McDonald's. Bottom: Sunny Side Bakery
- Fried Rice Special with Vienna Sausage, Portuguese Sausage, Scrambled Egg; Pear and Peach Combination Pie (Sunny Side Bakery) - 3 of us shared this. I can't even imagine one person finishing the Fried Rice Special alone. In hindsight, we should have ordered the egg fried instead, but the scrambled style didn't detract from the tasty fried rice. Surprisingly, it was the first time we had seen a different preserved meat on the menu: Vienna sausage. The bakery is known for their pies and no surprise, we ate it all in its flaky goodness before I could snap a shot. First time having Hawaiian Sun (I tried Passion Orange drink). I'm officially addicted.
- Udon with Okra, Curry Udon with Chicken & Eggs (Jimbo's Restaurant) - friend
Top: Udon w/ Okra. Bottom: Curry Udon
- Poke (Tamura's Fine Wine & Liquors) - not only do they have a good selection of wine, beers, and liquors, but they always have delicious poke! Wish we had had more time (and stomach space. This was pre-lunch) for a rice bowl.
- Long Rice Chicken (Helena's Hawaiian Food) - one of my favorite Hawaiian dishes. I could eat a huge bowl of it and have this as a replacement for chicken noodle soup.
- Shrimp Scampi (Giovanni's Shrimp Truck) - best shrimp scampi I've ever had (so good we ate this at both locations) and loved how they topped the rice with garlic. We could have scared off vampires after this meal.
- Steamed Ahi Belly (Sushi Ten) - never seen this on a menu in LA before. I was unused to the
- Hula Dog (Hula Dog, formerly Puka Dog) - they were very friendly there even though we rushed in 10 minutes before closing. How did I order my dog?
- Taro and bacon bread: this was a special. I don't usually like taro, but for some reason I loved taro everything in Hawaii, especially this bread with bacon bits!
- Polish sausage
- Garlic lemon secret sauce - mild
- Pineapple (love pineapple anything!) relish, lilikoi mustard: sweet and tangy sauce that burst out with the first, and ensuing, indulgent bites
- Dole Whip (Dole Plantation) - wish Disneyland served whips with fresh pineapple pieces and in a pineapple cup / coin bank!
- Passion Fruit, Lychee, Raspberry with Dark Chocolate Chips Mochi (Bubbies Homemade Ice Cream) -
- Pineapple, Coconut, Lemon Flavor with Azuki bean, Vanilla Ice Cream Shave Ice (Matsumoto Shave Ice) - cute shop (yes, we all bought something there. Great merchandise!) and featherlight shave ice with flavors you can actually distinguish, so it's not just coloring.
- Mai Tai (La Mariana Sailing Club) - lovely tiki hideaway that made a great Mai Tai. Luckily, they start serving drinks early (11AM). Unluckily, they close early (9PM).
Mixtape 2.0: Ni Hao Hawaii